- Tell your spouse you love him/her
- Hug your children…squeeze them, get lost in their cheeks, dive into their necks and revel in their laughter
- Call your mom and dad – thank them. Ask about their day.
- If your parents are no longer living…say a quick prayer to them, tell them what they mean to you.
- Repeat 3 and/or 4 with your grandparents
- Reach out to your sibling(s)…let them feel how great it was to grow up with them
- Text your friends or send out a mass email to all of your friends letting them know they are the family you chose…
- Thank the universe, God, the goddess, for your life, your health, the health of those you love and all of the good things that surround you
- Smile and give yourself a hug
- Eat some chocolate
Because sometimes life reminds us in the most cruel of ways that it is short. That in an instant everything can change. It is fragile and fleeting. Nowhere on my list is there a reference to work or the bank account or the kind of car in the driveway.
Stripped down to the essentials, life is not as complicated as we make it. Lighten the load and truly embrace what is important. It is far too easy to forget and ultimately, it is all that matters when we need it most.
Go ahead. Try it. You’ll be glad you did.